The topic of the 2017 edition is “Earth-system processes in the Atlantic” and the course will be held in Terceira Island, Azores from the 2nd to 7th of July.
- The course will start with a field trip to key volcanic sites on Terceira Island;
- Students are invited to present their research in a short (10 min) talk;
- Small changes in the schedule may occur due to the ACE_ENA campaign requirements.
There is no registration fee. However, students are required to cover their travel/accommodation expenses.
The EARTHSYSTEMS PhD program will support a number of students from the University of Lisbon.
Applicants should send a short motivation letter, and (optionally) the title of a short (10 min) presentation to present at the course to Ricardo Serpa <email@example.com> until 1 June 2017.
Crash course on MATLAB basic programing before the 2016 Summer Course
Lecturers: Filipe Rosas, Pedro Miranda, Rui Taborda and Mário Abel Gonçalves
Day 1 Material
Day 2 Material
Day 3 Material
Day 4 Material
Day 5 Material
2015 edition: Coastal Meteorology and Oceanography.
Collaboration between IDL, the Portuguese Naval Academy, the Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon University and the Stockholm University – Meteorological Institute.
Field Trip: Arrábida mountains and Algarve Basin
2017 edition (dates coming up soon)
- Three day geological field trip held together with undergraduate Marine Geology students (Geology degree, FCUL);
- Day 1: Arrábida chain (to the South of Lisbon, near Setúbal);
- Day 2: Algarve basin, Sagres region (in SW tip of Portugal);
- Day 3: Algarve basin, Albufeira region (in the central southern coast);
- We will be traveling by bus for the whole of the 3 days;
- We will stay in a camping site in Sagres during the two nights (students shall provide their own tents);
- Students shall take their own food or buy it in a supermarket (there will be at least one stop per day for this);
- On Saturday night a joint barbeque will take place in the camping (we’ll buy together meat and fish in a nearby supermarket).
Youtube video of the 2015 field trip
See here the field trip guide from a previous year (PT).
Classes will take place in:
- Room 8.2.13 (Tuesdays 10:00-11:00 AM)
- Room 8.2.04 (Tuesdays 2:00-3:00 PM)
- Room 6.2.52 (Thursdays 10:00 AM-1:00 PM)
Student’s grades 2017:
Rui Cereja, nº 36534 – 15 valores
Inês Machado, nº 50526 – 15 valores
Jaime Almeida – 14 valores
Martin Wronna – 14 valores
Harry Davies – 14 valores
Gil Lemos , nº 42140 – 14 valores
Juan Pinzon – 14 valores
Soft Skills Course
Course on Scientific Writting: 2017 edition is being prepared and will be similar to the previous year: 2-day intensive workshop coordinated by John Dixon.
- Attention: The 2017 edition is now scheduled to the week of 9-13 October!
Short Course on Scientific Programming (Pyton or MatLab)
- Attention: Scheduled to the week of 2-6 October!
The course will be coordinated by Prof. Pedro Miranda and the respective schedule is still being prepared (additional information soon).