The topic of the 2017 edition is “Earth-system processes in the Atlantic” and the course will be held in Terceira Island, Azores from the 2nd to 7th of July.
- The course will start with a field trip to key volcanic sites on Terceira Island;
- Students are invited to present their research in a short (10 min) talk;
- Small changes in the schedule may occur due to the ACE_ENA campaign requirements.
There is no registration fee. However, students are required to cover their travel/accommodation expenses.
The EARTHSYSTEMS PhD program will support a number of students from the University of Lisbon.
Applicants should send a short motivation letter, and (optionally) the title of a short (10 min) presentation to present at the course to Ricardo Serpa <firstname.lastname@example.org> until 1 June 2017.
Crash course on MATLAB basic programing before the 2016 Summer Course
Lecturers: Filipe Rosas, Pedro Miranda, Rui Taborda and Mário Abel Gonçalves
Day 1 Material
Day 2 Material
Day 3 Material
Day 4 Material
Day 5 Material
2015 edition: Coastal Meteorology and Oceanography.
Collaboration between IDL, the Portuguese Naval Academy, the Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon University and the Stockholm University – Meteorological Institute.
Field Trip: Arrábida mountains and Algarve Basin
2017 edition (dates coming up soon)
- Three day geological field trip held together with undergraduate Marine Geology students (Geology degree, FCUL);
- Day 1: Arrábida chain (to the South of Lisbon, near Setúbal);
- Day 2: Algarve basin, Sagres region (in SW tip of Portugal);
- Day 3: Algarve basin, Albufeira region (in the central southern coast);
- We will be traveling by bus for the whole of the 3 days;
- We will stay in a camping site in Sagres during the two nights (students shall provide their own tents);
- Students shall take their own food or buy it in a supermarket (there will be at least one stop per day for this);
- On Saturday night a joint barbeque will take place in the camping (we’ll buy together meat and fish in a nearby supermarket).
Youtube video of the 2015 field trip
See here the field trip guide from a previous year (PT).
Classes will take place in:
- Room 8.2.13 (Tuesdays 10:00-11:00 AM)
- Room 8.2.04 (Tuesdays 2:00-3:00 PM)
- Room 6.2.52 (Thursdays 10:00 AM-1:00 PM)
- Calendar 2017
- Information about the room will be available soon
Soft Skills Course
Course on Scientific Writting: 2017 edition is being prepared and will be similar to the previous year: 2-day intensive workshop coordinated by John Dixon.
Short Course on Scientific Programming (Pyton or MatLab)
The course will be coordinated by Prof. Pedro Miranda and the respective schedule is still being prepared (additional information soon).