EarthSystems Summer School 2018: 8-14 July
The 5th Earth System Summer School focuses on the “Interactions between large and small scales”, and it will take place on Madeira Island.
The summer school is open to PhD students in Earth System programs (atmospheric, oceanic, coastal and solid earth), as well as to other interested researchers. The summer school will be integrated in an observational oceanographic and atmospheric campaign focusing on island atmospheric and oceanic wakes including 1 day on board an oceanographic research ship. The participants will also have the opportunity to handle some of the observational records with hand-on sessions using python.
The topic of the 2017 edition was “Earth-system processes in the Atlantic” and the course took place in Terceira Island, Azores from the 2nd to 7th of July. Taking the opportunity of the “Aerosol and Cloud experiments in the Eastern North Atlantic (ACE_ENA)” campaign, which brought to the Azores a group of scientists to study processes in the maritime atmosphere, the University of the Azores (through IITAA at the Faculty of Agrarian and Environmental Sciences), the University of Lisbon (through Instituto Dom Luiz at the Faculty of Sciences), the Portuguese Institute for Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA) and the ACE_ENA team offered a 1 week workshop/summer course on earth-system processes. The course looked at the Azores region as a natural laboratory for Earth studies, where the atmosphere, the ocean, the geosphere and the biosphere interact, defining the local climate but also constraining climate on the global scale.
Coastal Meteorology and Oceanography.
Collaboration between IDL, the Portuguese Naval Academy, the Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon University and the Stockholm University – Meteorological Institute.
Field Trip: Arrábida mountains and Algarve Basin
- Three day geological field trip held together with undergraduate Marine Geology students (Geology degree, FCUL);
- Day 1: Arrábida chain (to the South of Lisbon, near Setúbal);
- Day 2: Algarve basin, Sagres region (in SW tip of Portugal);
- Day 3: Algarve basin, Albufeira region (in the central southern coast);
- We will be traveling by bus for the whole of the 3 days;
- We will stay in a camping site in Sagres during the two nights (students shall provide their own tents);
- Students shall take their own food or buy it in a supermarket (there will be at least one stop per day for this);
- On Saturday night a joint barbeque will take place in the camping (we’ll buy together meat and fish in a nearby supermarket).
Youtube video of the 2015 field trip
See here the field trip guide from a previous year (PT).