Earthsystems Summer Course
The 2017 edition is still being prepared. More detailed information regarding the Summer Course will be available soon. This year’s edition will probably be held in the Azores archipelago (Faial island).
The topic of the 2016 edition was: Introduction to numerical modelling using Underworld software.
Lecturer: Dr. Nicolas Riel, University of Durham, UK
The general outline of the 2016 Summer Course can be consulted here.
A crash course on MATLAB basic programing took place on the week before the Summer Course, from 4 to 9 of September (Lecturers: Filipe Rosas, Pedro Miranda, Rui Taborda and Mário Abel Gonçalves).
Day 1 Material
Day 2 Material
Day 3 Material
Day 4 Material
Day 5 Material
The topic of the 2015 edition was Coastal Meteorology and Oceanography. The Summer Course was a collaboration between IDL, the Portuguese Naval Academy, the Faculty of Sciences of Lisbon University and the Stockholm University – Meteorological Institute.
Field Trip: Arrábida mountains and Algarve Basin
2017 edition – 26, 27 and 28 May
- Three day geological field trip held together with undergraduate Marine Geology students (Geology degree, FCUL);
- Day 1: Arrábida chain (to the South of Lisbon, near Setúbal);
- Day 2: Algarve basin, Sagres region (in SW tip of Portugal);
- Day 3: Algarve basin, Albufeira region (in the central southern coast);
- We will be traveling by bus for the whole of the 3 days;
- We will stay in a camping site in Sagres during the two nights (students shall provide their own tents);
- Students shall take their own food or buy it in a supermarket (there will be at least one stop per day for this);
- On Saturday night a joint barbeque will take place in the camping (we’ll buy together meat and fish in a nearby supermarket).
Youtube video of the 2015 field trip
See here the field trip guide from a previous year (PT).
This Earthsystems module will start next Tuesday (7th March 2017) at 2:00 PM in room 8.2.04 (building C8, second floor, room 4).
Classes will take place in:
- Room 8.2.13 (Tuesdays 10:00-11:00 AM)
- Room 8.2.04 (Tuesdays 2:00-3:00 PM)
- Room 6.2.52 (Thursdays 10:00 AM-1:00 PM)
- Calendar 2017
- Information about the room will be available soon
Soft Skills Course
Course on Scientific Writting: 2017 edition is being prepared and will be similar to the previous year: 2-day intensive workshop coordinated by John Dixon.
Journal’s Club is an informal weekly scientific meeting where the Earthsystems PhD program students present, review and discuss relevant articles from all earth sciences topics. The main goal is to broaden the scientific discussions, contributing to a wider view of the earth sciences as a whole, within a more comprehensive and multidisciplinary intellectual environment. It also allows the students to practice their ability to present and discuss varied science topics in public, with the help of more experienced researchers.
Short Course on Scientific Programming (Pyton or MatLab)
The course will be coordinated by Prof. Pedro Miranda and the respective schedule is still being prepared (additional information soon).